Monday, April 8, 2013

Overwhelmed With Gratitude

"Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow." -Melody Beattie

It was a regular friday night, Eric was driving home from a guys night out, and I was about to head to sleep. I was almost asleep when my mom called me and had shared news that my dad, his two employees, riley and JT had been in a car accident. She was calm, and on her way to find them at the scene, or in the hospital. I offered to go with her, but stayed home with the siblings and waited for Eric to get home. She called when she arrived at the scene which was off alpine highway, to find JT with no injuries besides bruising and my dad and Riley headed up to Murray hospital in the ambulance. The two cars in the accident were totaled, police and fireman everywhere and sharing with me what had happened. As they were traveling on the highway, going about 50 mph approaching a light, a man turning their direction ran a red light and they were unable to stop in time, hitting the other car. As my mom made it to the hospital, she learned that Riley had a concussion, shattered his knee and broke his tibula. (I may be a bit incorrect, but I am around the idea of his leg is injured) and my dad has a fracture in his leg, broken tendon in his back and a lot of bruising. (again, not positive on this but close to accurate.) Riley will need surgery, and the two will need to stay overnight in the hospital. Their recovery will be long and will involve immobilizing the leg that is hurt for 6-8 weeks. My dad was able to come home on saturday night, and as I watched him in pain as he hopped to our front door with his walker, almost in tears, my heart sunk. I watched him pull himself up our stairs in pain, exhausted, and feeling helpless. My dad, Riley, and JT are all golfers, and their injuries could affect how they play this sport. Although they are in pain, they will be affected by this accident their entire life, and that the recovery process will be long, I am so grateful it wasn't worse. This incident has brought forth so many emotions, and gratitude is one of them. I often forget or take for granted the things that I have. It puts into perspective that I need to be grateful for all that I have, and to realize that anything could happen to me at anytime. I am so happy that these boys are okay, and that they are still with us. I know that my dad and Riley will get through this, and that they can get through it together. The friends and family that have attended the hospital or our house has been so generous. I am grateful I am surrounded by so many good people, that care for me and my family, and for the generosity they have brought. I am so grateful that I have the family that I do, that we stick together through the hard times and always enjoy the good times and that no matter what, we will get through it. 

xo. Ashley





No comments:

Post a Comment